We use daily several everyday carry items, without realizing how important they are. One such product of ours is a new Turkish Pehstemal towel. This everyday carry towel has been around for hundreds of years.
Who would have thought that in this day and age, century-old wooden shuttle looms continue to produce Peshtemals in some parts of the world? What is so special about this everyday carry towel, let’s go through it in this article.
Turkish Peshtemal Towels
Peshtemal is the name given to the historical, lightweight towels that were originally used during the Ottoman Empire. This lovely handicraft has some distinguished features that make it a special everyday carry item.
- Handmade: It might amaze you that even in this century, some products are still handcrafted by our skilled artisans. One such product is Peshtemal, produced by our proficient weavers in homes on century-old wooden shuttle looms.
- Best-Quality Cotton Made: We use our locally sourced extra-long fiber Turkish cotton, known for its extra-soft and absorbent properties. Also, the cotton is pure, unprocessed, and unbleached.
- Lightweight: Owing to being woven with a flat weave, these towels get a final product with a thin profile. This makes them very lightweight and compact, and easy to carry.
- Absorbent: Pashtemals were originally used in Turkish Hammams during the steam baths, due to their absorbent nature. With each wash, towels get more absorbent and are easier to dry.
- Beautiful Designs: The exquisite designs of our hand-woven Turkish towels make them unique.
Carrying centuries-old traditions with them, Peshtemal is produced in small batches of 300 per month. This ensures careful oversight to maintain artisan beauty and quality.
How Peshtemal Can Replace an Ordinary Towel
This everyday carry item has a range of uses, and it can perform way better than an ordinary towel.
- Unlike ordinary towels, which are thicker when new and get thinner and less absorbent after several washes, Peshtemal is the opposite. It gets softer and more absorbent with each wash.
- It makes traveling with them quite easy as they take up less space in your luggage.
- Handcrafted is another property that makes them unique and ideal to be given as a gift.
- Turkish culture is being reflected in them; one generation is transferring the art of hand weaving to the next. Keep the culture alive by keeping this unique piece of art as a part of your wardrobe.
- The large size makes it ideal to be used at the beach, it also protects car seats from wet clothing.
- Vibrant colors, unlike ordinary towels, make Peshtemal more appealing.
- Sand resistance is another property of this everyday carry that makes it easy to use on the beach.
- Multipurpose use as a picnic mat or drying towel, for protection from sea breeze or sun.
Culture and heritage make anything very special. You can imagine Turkey’s rich history from a glance at Pehstemal. Not only do you get benefits from this explicit everyday carry but you also can play your part in keeping this centuries-old tradition alive.
Buying this unique piece of heritage strengthens the village’s economy in the textile region of Denizli, Turkey. One generation of families is transferring the art of weaving to the next. We are confident that Turkish Peshtemal will replace your current towel at home or the gym because it possesses so many characteristics. This everyday carry product is unrivaled in terms of artisan beauty and enduring quality. If you are looking for a vibrant, absorbent, easy-to-dry, large, and unique towel, either for yourself or as a gift, what could be better than Pehstemal?